The First South Side Bridge
|The first South Side Bridge was erected in 1891 as a private
venture. It had a toll booth until 1914 when the county bought the
bridge. The original South Side Bridge was the first to cross the
Kanawha River at Charleston. It gave people an easier way to reach the
Chesapeake & Ohio Railway depot on the south side of the river and
spurred the development of South Hills.|
The current bridge, constructed with
funds from the Works Progress Administration, opened in 1937.
|The bridge was condemned in 1936. This photo show the bridge just before it was dropped into the river.|
1891 bridge piers were built using hand cut stone that were dragged by
Oxen from the quarry. In order to keep the old bridge open as
long as possible when the new bridge was being built, new
concrete piers were cast in place and the stone piers removed.
Then the old bridge was dropped into the river, a new idea at the
time. The new bridge was then erected on the new concrete piers.|