SCOTT BROTHERS DRUG STORE 1914
majestic building standing at the corner of Capitol of Fife streets is
one of Charleston’s impressive architecture. This Queen Anne
Renaissance style structure is made of pressed bricks and is topped by
a conical Victorian turret. The Scott Building was originally built in
1891 for brothers W.D. Scott and G.W. Scott. It was turned into the
Scott Brothers Drug Store & Soda Fountain in 1914. The Scott
Brothers Drug Store was located here until the early 1950s.|
by those in the business to be one of the most beautiful soda fountains
in America, their fountain drinks featured famous Huyler’s
chocolate and Huyler's cocoa. Huyler’s Chocolate and Candy Company was
one of the largest and most prominent chocolate makers in the United
States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Today, you can
see a reproduction of the Huyler’s chocolate sign on the side of
Notice the beautiful globes. These were stained glass and lead. A friend of mine owned one.
Corner of Capitol & Fife Street.
This is a very rare photo....
|The Scott Brothers Drug Store building
was built in 1892, but the brothers didn't move their business there
until 1914 as they were already in another location The business
lasted until the early 1950s. Before the drug store moved in
however, another business selling clothes rented the store.
Gentry Clothing would later move to Quarrier St. when the Scotts moved
in. See a great story on the Scott Brothers here.
In front of the store you see a Mr. William Bradford Dickerson, born
April 27, 1893 in Charleston, WV. We see him at 18 years of
age or so. |
* 2017 *
Here's Scotts storefront today, 100 years later.
W.D. Scott and G.W. Scott.
See a great story on the Scott Brothers here.
Many years later, the old Scotts building would be known for the Federal Bakery
There were several businesses in the building including a bank.
Back to 1900s index
Back to the Main Index