The Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of West Virginia,
originally part of the Bell System, was founded on January 1, 1917.
C&P of WV took-over telephone operations in West Virginia being
served by Central District and Printing Telegraph Company, Southern
Bell, and The Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of Maryland.
Dial service was first introduced by C&P of West Virginia in 1925 to the Huntington central office.
Bell Atlantic ownership
In 1984, The Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of West Virginia
became a holding of Bell Atlantic, upon the divestiture of the Bell
System by AT&T.
Charleston became the first city in the United States to have a choice of long distance companies.
By dialing "1" plus the area code and number, they could choose their
long distance carrier. Charleston was the nation's first test market for
the service, allowing 34,000 customers to choose from one of eight long
distance companies serving the area.
C&P Telephone logo, 1984-1994
C&P Telephone Co. of WV was the last Bell Atlantic company to provide party line telephone service. The last party line was converted to "private line" service on October 30, 1989.
In 1993, C&P Telephone of West Virginia took its last analog switch
out of service, becoming the first Bell Operating Company to have 100%
In 1994, Bell Atlantic standardized all of its Bell Operating Company
names, resulting in C&P Telephone of West Virginia being renamed
Bell Atlantic - West Virginia, Inc. In 2000, upon its purchase of GTE,
Bell Atlantic became Verizon Communications, resulting in the new name
Verizon West Virginia, Inc.