The house was constructed in 1834 by
the Rev. James Craik, and was known as "Elm Grove".
The Craiks were a prominent family originally from the tidewater area
of Virginia. The family had close ties to George Washington. Craik's
grandfather, Dr. James Craik, was Washington's personal physician
and first Surgeon General of the Continental Army. The elder Craik
traveled extensively with Washington during the General's extensive
surveying work, much of which was conducted in what is now West Virginia.
Dr. Craik's son - George Washington Craik
- continued the family's association with Washington by serving as
President Washington's secretary during his second term in office.
Clearly, Dr. Craik's admiration and affinity with Washington is reflected
in the name given to his son. George Craik's son, named for his grandfather,
was James Craik who built the Craik-Patton House.
After building "Elm Grove",
which was one of the first clapboard frame houses in the valley, James
Craik became involved in the Episcopal Church. He eventually abandoned
his law practice to become rector of St. John's Episcopal, one of
the earliest churches founded in Charleston.
Craik moved his family from the area
in 1844 when he was chosen to lead a new Episcopal church in Kentucky.
The Craik-Patton House was sold at that time to Isaac Reed, who owned
the house until it was purchased by George Patton in 1858.
Colonel George Smith Patton purchased
the home in 1848, although the deed was listed under the name of his
wife Susan Glasell Patton. The purchase price as listed in records
of the time was $2,900 and it was in this house that his son George
Smith Patton II was born. George Patton Jr's son, General George Smith
Patton III became the most renowned of the Pattons through his outstanding
generalship during WW II.
Following the death of her husband, Susan
Patton sold the home to Andrew Hogue in 1865 and the family eventually
settled in California. It was here the General George Patton III was
born and eventually embarked upon his brilliant military career.
house was moved from it's original location on Virginia Street
near Dunbar Street, to Lee Street in 1906. It was moved to
it's final resting place near Daniel Boone park in 1973.